[Trac-dev] Running Trac as a Windows service
Ryan Ollos
2018-03-22 16:12:06 UTC
I'd like to revise the "Installing as a Windows Service" section of
TracStandalone (1). In general, I think we should provide one good option
in the official documentation rather than several options. Users can
provide other ways of doing the same in the Trac CookBook.

I answered a question on Stack Overflow (2) and found the nssm tool was
easy tool use and works well for running tracd as a windows service. I
propose to replace "Option 1" and "Option 2" with a brief description of
how to use NSSM. Since I'm not a Windows expert, I wanted to get some
feedback on that change from any users that might have strong Windows
knowledge, or experience running Trac on Windows.

- Ryan

(1) https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracStandalone#
InstallingasaWindowsService
(2) https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49412064/starting-
trac-server-with-multiple-independant-projects/49417090#49417090
Peter Suter
2018-03-23 06:39:11 UTC
There are even more options on:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracOnWindowsStandalone#RunningTracdasservice

Including NSSM:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracOnWindowsStandalone#Usingnssm

I've only used NSSM for this (years ago, before switching to IIS) and
don't remember having any problems with it. It seemed much simpler than
the other options.
--
Peter
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracStandalone#InstallingasaWindowsService <https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracStandalone#InstallingasaWindowsService>
Eduard-Cristian Stefan
2018-03-23 07:54:33 UTC

I'm using NSSM extensively for various tools and it just works (ELK
components, Promethues server and exporters, Grafana, Kallithea).

IMHO, it would be ok to keep it as the official choice.

PS: the x64 binary doesn't show the UI on one of my servers, but it works
just fine using the command line; the x86 binary has no issues on the same
server. However, I don't have any practical reason to force the usage of
the x64 binary.

Have a nice day,
Eduard